So, rather than ramble on and say nothing, I turn to the saving grace of exhausted non-thinkers - the bullet list!
- Had the visitation. All my step-dad's living kids, spouses and many grand kids were there to support him and to support Mac and me. It made me feel good. I know some of the younger kids through school umpty decades ago, but none of us were close and there were some touchy times in the past (very understandably.) I am lucky to have come to know several of them a little better. They're good people; better than good, really. Many of Mac's contacts and friends came by; some folks Mum used to work with. Mum was there, in a lovely rose and ivory marble
urnclassical boxy thing. I think she probably likes the design.
- Discovered that the wife of one of my step-dad's kids is an SF fan, and familiar with LJ. In fact, she was the anonymous commenter on my first post about Mum. I cannot tell you how cool this is. I got her email, and hope to stay in contact.
- Discovered, too, that the second minister who is going to be officiating tomorrow is not the mother of an old schoolmate - she's actually the old school mate. And she is pretty fantastic, I think. We only went to school between kindergarten and Grade Four, because then they built a school in her valley and she was able to go there, but I always remembered her. And she is vivacious, affectionate, unafraid to be friendly ... she gave me a good feeling. I'm glad she's involved in the service.
- Uhm ... I think that's about all I can get my head around right now. I'm going to bed; have to be up at 7 a.m. tomorrow because the funeral's at 11 a.m. Wrote my eulogy (a little of what y'all saw in my first post, a bunch that wasn't in there), hope I can get through it.
- Then there's will and bank etc. I'm going to renounce my executorship, because it turns out that me being in the States and the estate being up here would cause a surprising amount of delay and problem for my brother. I trust him to handle things, since he keeps me fully in the loop. That's great.
- Huh - didn't I just say that's about all I can get my head around? Time for me to go to bed.