This one was ganked (including the simple, yet piquantly pithy, instructions) from dameruth , she of the excellent fanfic, interesting science and Best! Cat Icon! Evar!!!! (No. Really. It makes me laugh every damned time I see it.)
1. Reply to this post and I will pick five of your icons
2. Make a post (including the meme info) and talk about the icons I chose if you damn well feel like it.
3. Other people can then comment to you and make their own posts.
4. This will create a never-ending cycle of icon glee.
The good Dame picked these, from amongst my icons.
1) Had a Few
2) Vermeer Girl
3) Jae's Heaven
5) Shut the Fuck Up
1) Had a Few: As is the case with the vast majority of my icons, they were gifts from my dear friend and Internet sister Jae (also known as Queen Gwenyvere on the TWoP Doctor Who and BSG boards, and on Teaspoon.) I often use this when I have posted something that I think - in monomaniacal surety of my own writing talents - is good. The "I've had a few" intro is, thus, very useful, as it reminds me that said monomaniacal surety should be taken with a municipal public works department's truckload worth of road salt.
2) Vermeer Girl: I made this one, simply by finding a copy of Jan Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring." I have loved Vermeer's work ever since I was 9 or 10 years of age and saw copies of hispaintings in some book. I loved the peace, and the light, and the blues, with which Vermeer imbued those paintings, and that love has stayed with me. Someone with whom I'd discussed my Vermeer adoration gave me a copy of Tracy Chevalier's excellent novel featuring Vermeer, Girl With a Pearl Earring, and I still had the book on my bedside table when I ran across an Internet site on Vermeer. I use this to respond to entries or comments on the pages of friends who might not share my Doctor Who obsession, since most of my icons relate in some way to the Whoniverse. I also use it just because it's beautiful, and because sometimes I wish I looked like that girl.
3) Jae's Heaven: This was the first icon I ever made for myself. Jae had posted this gorgeous picture, a NASA photo of a galactic cluster of birthing starsI believe, at her journal; the sheer beauty of it overwhelmed me. It's another icon I use when I think DW icons might be met with complete and/or contemptuous confusion - or when I'm feeling peaceful, or sorrowful, or want to express calm, or awe, or even support of friends.
4) iDalek: Another gift from Jae's collection, and a witty take-off on the original iPod print and media ad campaign, (itself quite witty, and extremely creative.) It is, of course, a Dalek, that archetypical force of malign and irrationally ordered chaos-become-British television history thanks to the Who franchise. I occasionally use it simply because I love the color, but more often use it when I'm posting about something that's screwed up, unexpectedly unpleasant, or at least worth some wryly nonplussed observational verbiage.
5) Shut the Fuck Up: From the Jae collection, and probably self-evident. I use it when commenting on actions, or words, undertaken or spoken by other people - usually in the political or religious arena - that I think are unbearably, and evilly, stupid.
And there you have it.